Press Release – 8th August 2008
Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s Inhuman Treatment & Illegal Detention By US Military
PROTEST > Karachi Press Club on SATURDAY, 9th August 2008 at 6:00 pm
The Peoples Resistance along with Civil Society and Human Rights protest the inhumane treatment and illegal detention of Dr Aafia Siddiqui in Afghanistan since 2003.
Dr Aafia Siddiqui, a highly qualified scientist was kidnapped along with her three children from Karachi in 2003. Since then she has been missing while the Government of Pakistan and US military authorities have refused to acknowledge her existence for the past five years. Recently the human rights activist Yvonne Ridley highlighted the presence of a certain prisoner held captive in US Military jail in Afghanistan called Prisoner 650 who had much resemblance to the Pakistani doctor missing since 2003.
Since then the US Government has tried to launch a massive cover while ‘suddenly finding her’ in July 2008 after which she has been charged with assaulting a US officer and is under prosecution in a New York Magistrate court on these counts.
The people of Karachi will come together at the Karachi Press Club on Saturday 9th August 2008 at 6:00 pm to protest her illegal detention and inhuman treatment.
- This will be a peaceful protest call issued by citizens of Karachi
- The participants will protest against her illegal kidnapping in 2003 along with her children
- The participants will vehemently condemn the inhuman treatment meted out to her in the five years of being held captive in US Military custody
- We are appealing for swift and immediate withdrawal of all her charges
- The participants will appeal for effort to secure her immediate release form her American captives
- The Pakistani government will be urged to ensure complete financial support for securing her release including full legal support, medical coverage and transportation back into Pakistan
- The American ambassador Hussain Haqani is urged to use his offices to ensure this innocence citizen of Pakistan is served with justice
- We suggest the Government of Pakistan provide Dr Aafia and her family full medical and financial support after her return to help her get back into normal daily life
We request all media personal to extend their full support in providing coverage for this peaceful rally. Let us stand together to help Dr Aafia return home to Pakistan.
People’s Resistance (PR) a coalition of citizens, comprising students, teachers, doctors, journalists, professionals, and human rights organizations, came together to oppose measures taken under ’emergency rule’ on 03 November 2007. As a civil society advocacy and watchdog group, PR stands for the complete and unconditional restoration of the November 03, 2007 judiciary.