In a very shocking turn of events Mr. Asif Ali Zardari yesterday expanded his cabinet with 40 members and inducted a very controversial Senator Mir Israrullah Zehri. Mr Israrullah Zehri a few months back in August stood up in the Senate and justified the crime of burying women alive by arguing in the upper house that ‘It is a Baluch tribal tradition (to bury accused women alive) and we have to respect it’
Five women were buried alive in Baluchistan a few months before as it was reported that the girls were at the house of Mr. Chandio at Baba Kot village when Mr. Abdul Sattar Umrani, brother of the provincial minister, came with more than six persons and abducted them with gun points. They were taken in a Land Cruiser jeep, bearing a registration number plate of the Baluchistan government, to another remote area, Nau Abadi, in the vicinity of Baba Kot. After reaching the deserted area, Abdul Sattar Umrani and his six accomplices took the three girls out of the jeep and beat them before opening fire with their guns. The girls were seriously injured but were still alive. Sattar Umrani and his accomplices hurled them into a wide ditch and covered them with earth and stones. The two older women protested and tried to stop the burial of the girls who were plainly alive, but the attackers pushed them too into the ditch and buried all alive.
Names of victims
- Ms. Fatima wife of, Umeed Ali Umrani, 45 years old
- Ms.Jannat Bibi wife of Qaiser Khan, 38 years old
- Ms.Fauzia daughter of Ata Mohammad Umrani 18 years
- and two other girls, in between 16 to 18 years of age
Name of alleged perpetrators:
- Mr. Abdul Sattar Umrani, residing at Usta Mohammad city, Balochistan and his six accomplices
Place of incident:
- Village Baba Kot police station, Jafferabad, District, Pakistan
After the controversy erupted in September three of the five bodies were allegedly moved out of the mass grave while the local police stood doing nothing.
Ironically Mr. Israrullah Zahri has been inducted into the cabinet on Nov 3 making the coincedence all the more alarming for the people of Pakistan to see Justice not being served
The contrast between the PPP’s allergy to the restoration of CJ Iftikhar Chaudhry and its willingness to have ministers like Israrullah Zehri paints a clear picture about its lack of commitment to human rights causes. ANP nor MQM, the other so called liberal parties and allies of the PPP, have protested this induction of ‘supporters of honour killings’ into the cabinet which may also speaks volumes about where they stand.
- Condemn the Murder of the five women
- Condemn the appointment of Mir Israrullah Zahri as Minister
- Urge the PPP-democratically elected govt take action and undo this mistake
- Spread the word by email and facebook about this concerning issue
- Vehemently Condemn the Senator, for issuing such a statement, as this tradition of killing women is inhumane by any understanding and should not be supported or even justified by a government official specially in the Senate