In wake of the Mukhtar Mai verdict, citizens in collaboration with War Against Rape (WAR), Aurat Foundation (AF), Womens Action Forum (WAF) and other like-minded organizations are holding a press conference on Tuesday April 26th, at the Karachi Press Club at 5pm. Members from the legal fraternity, women’s groups, human rights activists and citizens are coming together to express their solidarity with Mukhtar Mai and discuss the verdict, its repercussions, weaknesses in law and procedures dealing with rape, the disintegration of the criminal justice system and the role of state and non-state actors in furthering it. Please attend.
Time: 4 PM
Location: Karachi Press Club
- Iqbal Haider, Advocate Supreme Court and former Sentaor
- Anwar Mansoor, President Sindh High Court Bar and former Attorney General, Pakistan
- Akmal Wasim, Associate Professor of Law, Hamdard School of Law, and former criminal lawyer
- Sarah Zaman, Director, War Against Rape (WAR)
- Nuzhat Kidvai– Womens Action Forum (WAF)