As Pakistani security forces prepare to clampdown on new rallies today, I spoke to the PTI (Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf — Imran Khan’s political party) Information Secretary — Akhbar Barbar, via phone, who sends out the following message to students organizing and attending peace rallies, while also echoing Shabhaz Sharif’s call last night, for students to rally peacefully:
– Wear black or yellow arm bands to voice your silent statement which is very effective in rallying for a democratic Pakistan and lifting the imposed martial law
– To ensure all police and armed forces’ brutality against students and demonstrators are documented and publicized, invite the electronic media to all student-organized rallies
– Build a network with students at every university in Pakistan and organize rallies on campus at same timings across the country
– Make a unified strong statement using placards, wearing arm bands and handing out car stickers for a democratic Pakistan without martial law.
– Initiate rallies to kick-off within campuses and at other educational institutions
– I encourage ladies within the student bodies to come out and join peace rallies since police forces (mostly male-dominated) usually back off and wait for women-police officers to arrive, this gives them time to also make their voice heard.
– Coordinate all activities and rallies together as one united network of students, increased linkage within universities leads to a larger peace message that creates an impact.