An exclusive Al Jazeera survey of public opinion in Pakistan has revealed widespread disenchantment with the United States for interfering with what most people consider internal Pakistani affairs. This survey was done interviewing more than 2,500 men and women across the rural and urban areas in all four provinces of Pakistan on July 26 and 27. The margin of error is + 2-3 per cent at 95 per cent confidence level. Al-Jazeera wraps up the results in a detailed analysis but a quick look at the survey is as follows
- On the Military Operation; 41% were in Favor, 24% in Opposition, 22% remained neutral and 13% were undecided
- On US-Led Drone Attacks: 9% were in Favor, 67% were in Opposition and 24% chose to remain neutral
- On Dialog vs Offensive: 41% felt the need for Military Action, 43% wanted a Dialogue while 16% did not have an opinion
- On President Zardari: 11% felt he was Good, while a majority of 42% considered him Bad, 34% responded as Neither Good or Bad leaving the remaining 13% as undecided
- On Pakistan Peoples Party: 20% felt it was Good, 38% responded that PPP was Bad, 30% said it was Neither good or Bad while the remaining 12% did not know.
- On their choice of the Best Leader for Pakistan: President Zardari came at measly 9%, Prime Minister Gilani at 13%, Nawaz Sharif at 38%, 8% favored a Military Government, while 11% felt a joint PPP and PML-N govt was good, only 6% felt Religious Parties were beneficial for Pakistan, 6% of the respondents chose other leaders leaving the last 8% of undecided
- On the threat from the Taliban vs the USA and India: 11% felt that Pakistani Taliban were a threat, India factored at 18%, while the US topped the threat radar at 59%, leaving the remaining 12% as undecided
This last point where Pakistanis feel more insecure with Americans is a genuine threat, Talibans may have been a more recent occurance but the bigger plague is the constant American involvement in our day-to-day affairs that people seriously detest.
Some Infidels may refute these claims as being an utterly biased survey merely because it was conducted by Al-Jazeera. But I am sure most Pakistanis will easily attest to these poll results as generally the pulse of the nation. Financial assistance by the American is more like blood money siphoned off by the corrupt with which the American continue to wheel and deal with. These ‘American funds’ have never reached the masses, not now and seemingly never will. It is a fact that the common man is infuriated at the Americans and their mismanaged ‘War on Terror’ which has taken this country into the hands of Talibans. Some serious re-evaluation needs to be done to take this country out of this mess and merely shoving dollars under the door will NOT CUT IT