OPEN LETTER TO COAS GENERAL RAHEEL SHARIF
August 27, 2016
General Raheel Sharif
Chief of Army Staff
Islamic Republic of Pakistan
I write to you directly, as you are duty bound not only to protect the physical frontiers of this country but also the ideological frontiers, which are currently under threat.
It is also not a hidden secret that MQM was created by former President General Muhammad Zia ul-Haq and further aided/facilitated by former President General Pervez Musharraf. Therefore, by default, the responsibility to clean up the mess created by your predecessors sadly falls on your shoulders.
There is no doubt, that recently Sind Rangers under the leadership of Maj. Gen Bilal Akbar has done a tremendous job in restoring relative peace to Karachi and apprehended miscreants and criminals of MQM and all other parties plus banned religious outfits. However, in the wake of Altaf Hussain’s speeches and Dr. Farooq Sattar’s press conferences thereafter, time has come to take serious action against MQM that includes a ban and to hold accountable all those who are still supporting them.
Press conferences by Dr. Farooq Sattar and his associates are total eyewash to hoodwink the Pakistani public. Please do not let these criminals insult your/our intelligence by trying to separate MQM LONDON & MQM PAKISTAN! They are all the same. Altaf Hussain is still their ROHANI REHNUMA.
Can you as COAS of this great Land of the Pure please answer the following?
- How can anyone differentiate between MQM-LONDON and MQM-PAKISTAN on an arrested target killer?
- How is it possible that a person, who has terrorism and treason FIR’s registered against him be allowed to hold a public office, hold a press conferences & appear on TV? God Forbid, will we start giving the same privilege to leaders of banned religious militant outfits?
- How can a political party with questionable and/or no loyalty to Pakistan be allowed to contest elections, rig the mandate and then govern the largest and most important city in Pakistan, if not the region?
- How come Sind Rangers, who have been absolutely brilliant in managing the By-elections in Karachi, failed in the Local Bodies Election resulting in electing a Mayor who is now being held in custody for the May 12, 2007 blood bath in Karachi?
- How come individuals who have been part & parcel of MQM’s anti state activities for decades, suddenly dry-cleaned just because they jumped a sinking ship?
A Political party gets mandated to serve the public. Not to kill, loot and plunder. The Nazi Party in Germany won a “mandate” in March 1933 as well but can the subsequent genocide committed by the Nazis be justified because of their “mandate”?
Quaid-e-Azam warned us about fifth columnists among our midst back in March 1948 and called them “quislings” and remarked that the government must deal with them “ruthlessly.” Is this Quaid’s Pakistan where anti-state elements and parties are allowed to roam freely?
Growing up in Karachi, I walked the streets without fear. My mother would send me on my bicycle to buy bread from the nearby tandoor. Karachi was a peaceful place to raise a family then. I want my peaceful Karachi back; a Karachi where I can walk the streets with my children without fear of them being kidnapped or getting shot.
Ali Haider Zaidi
a concerned citizen of Pakistan