As summer approaches Karachi – there is some confusion amongst the public on how to cope with the fatal amoeba called Naegleria Fowleri, many updates are posted, some true and some more in the terms of mere panic.
I share this brief update on how to prevent being contaminated by Naegleria Fowleri, sadly my father-in-law succumbed to this amoeba a few years back.
Some precautions – to help avoid any random panic
- Avoid swimming in Warm Freshwater
- Make sure pools are WELL CHLORINATED
- Hold your nose shut, use NOSE CLIPS, or keep your head above water when taking part in water-related activities in bodies of warm freshwater.
- Avoid putting your head under the water in hot springs and other untreated thermal waters.
- Avoid digging in, or stirring up, the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas.
- Avoid deep nasal inhalation of water during Wudu / Ablution
- Install proper Water Filters where possible specially on your water tanks, as Karachi water supply is questionable (The label may read “NSF 53” or “NSF 58.” & Filter that read “absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller” are also effective)
- Have your water storage tank cleaned up, and some on-hand chlorine tablets will help reduce chances (image below)
- You cannot get infected from drinking tainted water. You can only get PAM when contaminated water goes up into your nose
- This amoeba does not breed in Salt water – so swimming in the sea is safe
You can purchase Water Purification Tablets from well.pk which I recently got for Rs 1220 for a pack of 100 tablets, for a 1000 gallon tank you would need to insert about 4-5 tablets