An article by Dr Ashfqaue Khan (Principal and Dean NUST School of Social Sciences and Humanities) published in Business Recorder – “Pakistan is currently facing one of the worst economic challenges of its history. Almost eight years of continued economic misgovernance have severely damaged the economy beyond recognition. Weak and frivolous economic managers, ministers and Apna Admi culture (cronyism)” have not only damaged the economy but also destroyed key economic institutions/ministries” – LINK
There are many people who ask what has PTI / KPK Government been doing in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province to counter the terrorist threat to the people living in the province and also to the school children of the area specially after the tragic Army Public School attack on 16th December which claimed the lives of over 140 school children.
We have compiled a short list of action items taken by the PTI govt in KPK
- KPK has almost 37,000 Schools. 5,000 of them are without boundary walls. KP Government had a 3 year plan of putting all the missing basic facilities in the 37,000 schools which included Boundary Walls, Toilets, Clean Water, Furniture, 6 Classrooms for Primary Schools, etc. Now the priority has shifted to finishing the Boundary Walls in all schools within an year about Rs. 1bn has already been allocated to the department with a promise of additional funds as per requirement of each school
- KPK Govt has also pledged to spend Rs. 11 Billion on Security Arrangements in Schools. Expenses will include Equipment and Training of School Staff
- The Threat Levels to each school has been categorized in three slabs as Low, Medium and High. All the schools are getting uniform security arrangements as per their threats level
- The arrangements include an 8 Feet High Boundary Wall, Razor Wires, CCTV Cameras, Armed Guards, Jersey Barriers, SOS Alert service, Alarm Systems and PODs (Professor on Duty) according to their needs
- The KP Government has again requested in writing to the Federal Government to return the FC to the province to control the No-Man Land between the Tribal and the settled area.
- KP Police already sensed this threat and were already preparing for it and that is precisely the reason that they initiated police training schools like the School of Investigation, School of Tactics, School of Intelligence and Specialized training to the Elite force for Counter Terrorism. All these training schools are operational and law enforcement personnel are being trained.
- Counter Terrorism Police Unit in KPK getting professional training to be fully equipment to combat Terrorists.
- KP Government has close liaison with National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA) to ensure timely intelligence and response in case of an ongoing or a perceived threat
- Police Patrolling has been increased and Citizen Watch Committees have been erected to watch the Neighbourhoods.
- Children of the last attack are being treated in all Hospitals and we only have two remaining victims who are presently admitted in LRH and are undergoing treatment.
- CM KP has announced that in case of an injury that cannot be treated within the country, the Government of KP is willing to bear all the treatment expenses of these children abroad to ensure the best possible care for them. (This was announced for a child suffering from Nerve Injury after the attack at APS).
- KP Government is also keeping a close liaison with Public to implement any suggestions or ideas.
- KP Government has decided to name the schools after the martyred child in the native districts of Shuhadas.
- A major Roundabout in Peshawar will also be named after the Shuhadas of APS
- Archives Library will be renamed
- A conference room in the Provincial Assembly has already been renamed after Mrs. Qazi, the shaheed principal of APS
- KPK Govt orders to terminate illegal Afghanistan Mohajirs from all Govt & private jobs
- To counter terrorism and improve security of the people and public property, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has enacted three special laws within a short time:
- Restriction of Rented Buildings Act
The KP Restriction of Rented Buildings Act 2014 requires the landlords renting their properties to do so only after proper background verification and provision of sureties by the tenant. The law further requires the landlord and tenants to get registered with the concerned police stations after submitting their particulars. Failure to do so is a cognisable offence and involvement of tenant in any terrorism activities in such a case entails vicarious liability for the landlord as well.
- Restriction of Hotel Businesses Act
The KP Restriction of Hotel Businesses Act 2014 requires all hotels, inns, motels and rest houses to get registered with the concerned police station and to ensure provision of guest lists to the local police station on a daily basis. The law makes it mandatory for the hotel management to record complete particulars of each guest and verify their identities and to inspect the baggage of each guest.
- Security of Sensitive and Vulnerable Establishments and Places Act
The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Security of Sensitive and Vulnerable Establishments and Places Act 2014 requires the owners/management of public and profit making private establishments to make appropriate security arrangements for the safety of such establishments and places. Based on the target hardening theory, the law aims to make it mandatory for all such public and private places to perform their social responsibility. This law makes it mandatory for the police force to regularly check these establishments for ensuring the implementation of its objectives.
- Restriction of Rented Buildings Act
- In order to effectively check terrorism-related incidents, the KP police have sought permission for allowing them direct access to phone intercepts, NADRA database and FIA’s database on travel history besides provision of necessary equipment and software for boosting its intelligence gathering capabilities!
- KP Govt has issued a provincial ban on all hate, sectarian and extremist literature as well as radical speeches. District police officers have been requested to form vigilance committees to eradicate the dissemination of books, pamphlets, CDs and other similar material which could be disruptive to provincial peace.
- CM KPK announce a compensation package of Rs 2 million for the families of APS victims (link)
The KPK govt is fully geared to protecting its citizens in the time of crisis as best as it possibly can.
Researched & Compiled by Jibran Illyas & Najiullah Khattack
The strike call for 12th December in Karachi was a tough & a strategic call made by Chairman Imran Khan on 30th Nov, it was a bold move to tactically increase pressure on the PML govt to rethink its negotiation strategy viz-a-viz to proceeding with an independent investigation of alleged election rigging in 2013. If peaceful protests for 120 days is not enough of a pressure tactic, it seems the govt needs to be physically shown that this is injustice in acceptable and proof of this contagious movement has taken a bigger momentum resonating all across Pakistan — Faisalabad on the 8th, Karachi on the 12th and soon Lahore on the 15th – Shutdowns are Pressure tactics to push for justice in Pakistan. What does one have to do, to get an investigation started in Pakistan? — When Push comes to shove, it seems shoving is then the order of the day.
Many supporters have a strong disagreement as to why PTI choose to adopt this strike strategy in Karachi, which to them resembles so much like the MQM-thug style politics and to make matters worse, images of burning tires were not helping as it portrayed violence, seemingly on the same track with MQM’s 30-min barrle of the gun-based shutter down calls seen too often in Karachi. Each Karachiite knows very well that the was a fundamental difference between MQM calling a strike and PTI appealing to people to join in a ShutDownToRebuild movement – Everyone knows that MQM uses militants on bikes roaming the streets and that this display interspersed with aerial firing, simply serves as the threat to establish the “voluntarily closure” along with other unfortunate tactics, they need not have to “work hard” to convince people, the guns do the convincing part quite well. PTI on the other hand DOES NOT SUBSCRIBE TO MILITANCY.
To organize the lockdown one must know the grass root dynamics of planning and ensuring a strike and I give credit to the PTI Karachi leadership to have understood the dynamics, planned well and executed to near perfection.
Before the shutdown there was a long debate on choosing to adopt the need to use tire burning strategy, but after a long discussion & a majority vote PTI teams allowed limited use of this method only for the sake of visual optics, but strictly NO threatening militant / armed strategy — only peacefully block roads, lobby aggressively, campaign and convince the public to join Imran Khan’s call to rebuild Pakistan. On the tire burning issue, I’m aware of many valid objections, I personally was a silent 50-50 spectator, personally felt we need to create the “environment” to be successful. So in part I would say I agreed, and hence I stand by the judgment call and the reason to write this blog post to explain why it was needed
A strike call in Karachi should be understood on a number of critical stages
Continue reading “Dynamics of PTI #ShutDownToRebuild Strike in Karachi” »
Quite shockingly the more you dig into the ECP hoping to expose the facts of this esteemed organisation entrusted to conduct Free and Fair elections – is fudging numbers – how can on 11th August 2014 ECP is on record to say
Tribune – 11th August: They refuted allegations that ballot papers were printed through private contractors or that even excess ballot papers were printed. They said that there was no question of extra ballot papers being printed, which were printed by a governmental organisation. They added that the provincial election commission did even add one extra ballot paper.
On 28th November responding to PTI’s allegation that 5.5 Million ECP is on record to raise the extra-ballots printing bar from Zero to 0.8 million
The News – 28th November: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has said that in the general elections 2013, only 800,000 additional ballot papers were printed and that too due to technical reasons.
And finally 3 days later on December 1st the extra ballots increase from 0.8 million to 9.3 million
Geo News – 1st December: According to the details, 8.34 million additional ballot papers were printed in the general elections of 1997, 9.4 million in 1999, 9 million in 2008 and 9.3 million in the elections of 2013.
Please ReTweet ECP on 10 Aug 14: No extra ballot papers printed ECP on 28 Nov 14: 8 lac printed ECP on 1 Dec 14: 93 lac printed
— Dr. Arif Alvi (@ArifAlvi) December 1, 2014
— Dr. Arif Alvi (@ArifAlvi) December 1, 2014
So in a span of 113 days each on the insistence and reactionary response to Imran Khan’s allegations of rigging the ECP has stumbled into correcting its own lies one after the other, how can facts of extra ballots differ by a mammoth 9.3 Million – a free and fair elections need to document in black and white and present fact in a total unbiased and fair manner – ECP should not be the political voice of the elected status quo, but the genuine voice in protecting the fundamental right of the people of Pakistan ie their right to vote
A masterful political stroke delivered by Imran Khan / PTI he showed flexibility on the resignation issue, but has clearly pushed to force the Sharif’s to conduct an investigation on Vote Audit – IF NOT, then
Lahore shall be blocked on 4th Dec
Faisalabad shall be blocked on 8th Dec
Karachi shall be blocked on 12th Dec
and Pakistan on 16th Dec
Let it be clear that PTI has been against strikes, but when blatant and simple justice is not served even after 110 days, for the fundamental democratic right to a free and fair elections then it rightly chooses to show seriousness and use this as political (but peaceful) pressure tactic to force them to investigate electoral rigging.
Ideally from today PML-N has FOUR days each to avoid the political pressure of strikes – the checkmate on them, if they are genuine, then they should finally start the electoral vote audit – truly initiating an investigation is NOT a guilty verdict ….. or is it?
Watch the amazing response by Pakistan’s Information Minister when asked about Swiss Necklace Case on Asif Zardari’s corruption judgement – the judgement was issued by the swiss courts on 29th October, the Attorney General on query acknowledge that they received a copy of the order on Nov 24th and even after three days, the Minister deflects the question by saying that they have sent the case for french translation and will respond to in time – this has the hallmark of the typical compromises / Muk-Muka the PPP and PML have done to cover each other and take their turn at looting Pakistan
Swiss Case judgment issued on 29th October
AGP acknowledge receiving case on a question by media on 24th Nov
Interview 28th Nov … translation fanni kharbi kay baais takheer say aamad
Ever wonder the extent of Election Rigging – the more you dig the more comes out here in this picture I share over 130 constituencies where a PRIVATE contractor was given a contract to print SERIAL NUMBERS on Ballot papers – In the process of printing he documents how extra serial #’s (read DUPLICATE) were printed
for example if
Employee A was asked to print serial numbers from 00001-10000
Employee B was asked to print serial numbers from 10001-20000
but in the fray Employee H was slipped a request to print 10001-20000 (he has no idea that Employee B was printing this serial #)
Meaning two duplicate serial numbers of 10,000 (#’s 10001-20000) ballot papers
But the main contractor realised this was happening when all Employees came to collect their dihari (pay), they showed him the #’s slips that they had printed and in turn got paid accordingly – documenting the slips the contractor realizes and his books document a major scam and it hovers into thousands for each constituency – these are not extra provisional ballot papers BUT duplicate ballot papers
Not only does PTI have this as documented evidence, we also recorded video evidence of the employees who serialised these numbers…. The extent of pre-poll rigging may be called organized mafia out to loot Pakistan
The fundamentals of good leadership is to present yourself with a positive and confident body language, be it limited to mere visual optics, but every public opportunity one needs to be on-top of his game and each photograph taken should portray confidence combined with the subtleties of a good tailored suit, well groomed hair and even if need be a dash of good makeup. All these subtle tactics present the leader well, even if its only for sake of mere pictures
Sadly, every time the people of Pakistan have seen their Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in public and specifically on the global stage, quite shockingly he has come forth with a weak and a defeatist body language, slouched shoulders, fumbling words, mindlessly gazing into thin air, oft caught with a worried & tense frown, very rarely even a smile? The subtle message coming through the camera lens is of a stressed out leader, leading a failed state. Granted I may have a bias against him, but I still do remain a Pakistani and he represents my country on the global stage.
Sparing a few scattered “good-PR” shots, most images that end up being circulated, even by the media houses (Dawn, Tribune, SamaaTV), reflect the mindset of an uninspiring leader, if that alone was the problem it may have been ok, but when he goes to speak, then again the potential for a possible inspirational magic dissipates into thin air, for example a few months back during his joint press conference with the US President Obama at the White House, he as seen to be shuffling ragged pieces of paper, honestly there is no harm in carrying notes, but at this global stage the stakes for visual optics are high and a genuine leaders rises up to the occasion, others flounder in search of glory, and the Pakistani Prime Minister did a massive belly flop, in search of glory.
On Sunday during the coverage of PTI Jalsa in Gujranwala, Pakistan Information Minister Pervaiz Rasheed addressed a press conference accusing PTI / Imran Khan and specifically PTI Secretary General Jahangir Tareen for misusing his public limited company JDW aircraft for personal usage of Imran Khan to commute across the country for his campaigning.
Perviaz Rasheed went on record to accuse that JKT nor PTI had paid for the travel and instead the expenses were borne by the shareholders of the public limited company. The hour long press conference by the Information Minister (preferably known as DisInformation Minister) was taken at face value by the media and run by all media houses as a genuine fact driven accusation.
Within an hour, JKT immediately countered the accusations on twitter
Everytime Khan travels on the plane I personally pay the company for its use. The company never pays for his travel. PMLN lying as always
— Jahangir Khan Tareen (@JahangirKTareen) November 23, 2014
All payments for plane use are fully documented. Pervaiz Rasheed should expect a legal notice from JDW for defamation — Jahangir Khan Tareen (@JahangirKTareen) November 23, 2014
from Instagram: http://ift.tt/1uqPKfA
I asked a question on Quora :- Saduruddin Hashwani has written a book accusing Asif Zardari of conspiring against him on many counts. In counter, Zardari has filed an Rs 1 billion defamation lawsuit. What’s going on? …. Care to answer …. .
By the way the book is off the selves in Karachi, as I personally called Liberty Books and they say its “banned” goodness gracious, until then Kindle version would have to do…
Najiullah Khattak closely linked with KPK Govt has clarified the recent controversy by the media which alleged a 16-vehicle convoy for Imran Khan on his visit to Peshawar on 18th Nov. He clarifies that the convoy primarily belonged with Chief Minister of KPK, and Imran Khan was a passenger in the same vehicle, the other dignitaries he has also listed also accompanied the convoy which only included the necessary vehicles as stipulated for their respective offices
Samaa and Dunya TV reported 16 vehicles entering CM House on Imran Khan’s visit to Peshawar. IK and CM were in the same Vehicle. CM has to follow an essential protocol by the Book that included only 4 vehicles for Security and Intel.
Following these 5, were the vehicles of Chief Secretary (6), IG Police (7), Secretary Health (8), Chief Executives of HMC (9), LRH (10), KTH (11) and Ayub Medical College (12) and a few MPAs and MNAs (13-14-15-16) who were all coming for that meeting. Where is the PROTOCOL except for the essential ones?
By the way, he travelled from inside the Cantt from the Airport and not a single road was blocked – shared by Najiullah Khattak on Facebook