تبدیلیی آ نہی رہی – تبدیلی آ گئی ہے
پٹرول کی قیمت میں بہی تبدیلی آگئ ہے
Tabdeeli Aa-nahi Rahi – Tabdeeli Aa-gaye Hai
Petrol prices mein bhee Tabdeeli Aa-gaye Hai
Mubarak to all Pakistani – let it be on record that it is definitely because of Imran Khan sb’s pressure & the popularity of the Dharna’s and the Virality of the Go Nawaz Go chant that has made the Noora’s scramble to provide some relief to themselves even if its mere moral survivability from the #GoNawazGo slogan
I leave you with a thought as the Nooras are high fiving each other on Rs. 9.4 of price reduction – the fact is that globally the crude oil prices have fallen by ~34% which if translated from Rs. 103/ltr should have been close to a fall of Rs 35+ tax – someone is still pocketing the ~25% difference – shared on Facebook by Awab Alvi [link]
For what its worth Nilofer has striped clean Karachi skyline from the billboard clutter. To expose, albeit partially, a beautiful city of ours which used to lay beneath
Good to read that Ali Najib Sidiki raising his voice on this issue >> Tribune Blogs >> Where’s my refund, Mr Zardari? >> Ironically it was quoted as the only charity they did claim and it was SZABIST – so one has to wonder where the “rest” of the looted money has disappeared off too. Possibly deep pockets of “Zardari families “own” charitable case” – I guess they deservingly need it the most [?]
Zahid F Ebrahim, in his article of August 4 titled, “Ten truths about electoral rigging”, published in The Express Tribune, presented a very biased view on the topic. The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) should have stepped in to allay doubts of any election rigging, but with this article, it seems that the neutrality that was needed to conduct a free and fair election was never there to begin with. It seems that this was the mindset from the start: to appease the powers that be, instead of giving Pakistanis even a semblance of a free and fair election.
I truly respect Mr Ebrahim and his father. I believe Mr Fakhruddin G Ebrahim is an honest person, but his appointment, especially considering his age, probably was the factor that failed Pakistan. This job required a commander, who would whip, snap and beat the life out of anyone who so much as stumbled in performing his duties to conduct transparent elections. I do not challenge the former chief election commissioner’s honesty or integrity on a personal level. I am aware that he, along with his family, have sacrificed a lot this past year — but I would like to raise some concerns here.
Pakistan has suffered extensively from a war which has bled this nation with hundreds and thousands of lives lost to a ruthless enemy called TTP & Talibans. Pakistan needs to come out of this conflict for the survival of our own existence – but to solve this crisis, we as a nation are forced to stand at a cross-roads – to either go headlong into a “military action” or explore a “ceasefire option”.
The choice is not, one or the other, but the choice is to explore a combination of both, using good cop – bad cop approach, try to head into a ceasefire talks but use strategic & timed military force to drag the militants back onto the peace table
Truly the bleeding hearts of every Pakistan screams, to beat the hell out of these murdering terrorists, but for the sake of Pakistan, and as, educated Pakistanis we must avoid being lead into a mindless war without exhausting avenues and all non-military options, for the fear of loosing our country further.
I share a paper published by London School of Economics and Political Science titled Ten Lessons for Conflict Resolution from Northern Ireland by Jonathan Powell is a great paper to read it sheds light on the lessons that can be extracted from the Northern Ireland conflict. Jonathan Powell was the principal negotiator on Northern Ireland and was instrumental in bringing about a lasting peace in that troubled province after centuries of conflict this
I accede even prior to quoting this paper in context of Pakistan there is no way to convinceably argue that the conflict in Pakistan is similar to the Northern Ireland, but it is equally wrong to suggest that there are no lessons to be learned, from the mistakes the British made and from the successes they achieved. These lessons can be applied elsewhere, with care, by people like us in Pakistan to learn and seek a lasting settlements to this armed conflict.
[UPDATED 10th May 2014]
- POLICE – is independent & depoliticised – even IG of KPK has said there is no political interference by the political govt and he has been given a free hand to do his work. Umar Cheema a renowned transparency investigative journalist shared his own interaction with IG KPK Police sharing that there was NO POLITICAL interference with the KPK Police (Video Interview of IG KPK Nasir Durrani)
- PATWARI SYSTEMS - is far better then before – TV Anchor Fareeha Aziz sent an undercover camera to catch anyone taking a bribe, even journalists Umar Cheema endorsed the same fact that they the patwaris were not taking bribes for fear of being caught.
- JUSTICE - The Peshawar High Court has introduced E-Citizens Grievance Redressal System — a unique justice system in Pakistan through which the people of KPK and tribal areas, especially the distressed and poor segment of society, would get justice within hours. The PHC would now receive complaints and applications just on a phone call, SMS or email through the Human Rights Directorate. The litigants would also receive reports on progress in their cases through phone, email or SMS. The HRD mostly deals with the cases of violation of basic human rights.
- HEALTH – The health system has improved significantly – patients testify that doctors are present in the hospitals to attend to their ailments. KPK gov also went through serious challenges regarding Polio and its resistance, they handled the issue and launched a Sehat Ka Insaf program during which each child will also receive vaccination against 9 preventable diseases and vitamin A drops and each family will be given a hygiene kit that includes soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, towel, water container, etc
- Sehat Ka Insaf started on 2nd Feb 2014 which immunised 485,000+ kids against 9 preventable diseases
- On 9th Feb, 63 UC were covered and the volunteers immunised 513,000 children
- On 16th Feb the 3rd campaign targeted 547,300+ children
- On 22nd Feb the 4th edition of the campaign targeted 77 UC’s across Peshawar and immunised 551,000
- On 1st March the 5th campaign targeted 95 UC’s across Peshawar and immunised 650,450 children
- 6th Campaign on 9th March targeting 97 UC and immunized 640,000 children
- 7th Campaign on 15th March targetted 95 UC and immunized 648,000 children
- Success of the Anti-Polio campaign can also be measured with the fact that sewage water samples collected on 26th Feb from areas tainted with Polio turned out to be negative for the first time in many years
- On 6th March the Ministry of Health approved the service structure for Doctors in KPK, a long standing issue which has been finally cleared up hoping this will pave the way to better health care professionals in KPK
- Economist hails that the Sehat Ka Insaf campaign was a remarkable effort considering the 8,000 health care workers were under threat and the KPK govt successfully immunized over 760,000 children in Peshawar
- Cancer patients to get free therapy
- EDUCATION - Teachers are showing up in schools – those who don’t are removed & new recruits are being brought in with a condition that they are not allowed to transfer between districts. Action was taking against 605 errant/absent teachers while 62 were fired. The entire education system is in the process to be unified to present one curriculum for all schools across the province in English
- KPK Govt launches Tameer-e-School campaign to rebuild thousands of dilapidated schools all across the province using cutting edge technology to monitor the funds and the adequate usage of the funds
- WOMEN - An SMS awareness campaign was started announcing free gynecological checkups & supporting medicines to pregnant women and an added bonus of Rs 2,700 to help sustain their pregnancy
- MINORITIES – for the first time in the history the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf government has initiated a financial assistance scheme for the welfare of widows hailing from the minority Hindu community.
- ENVIRONMENT – KPK gov is committed to improving the environment, it has launched a massive 1 billion tree plantation drive across the province and is working on preserving our natural resources
- ACCOUNTABILITY / EHTESAB BILL – a very robust & independent Ethesab Bill to catch corruption, this will even keeps PTI’s ministers in check as a deterrent from doing corruption for the fear of being exposed by the public / media
- RIGHT TO INFORMATION – allows the citizen to get gov information to keep watch and catch corruption or non performance, gauged to be one of the best RTI bills world over and also ranked to better then Punjab RTI Bill
- RIGHT TO SERVICES - allows the citizen to demand basic services in stipulated number of days (~30 days) or else the bureaucracy will be punished – Public Add
- LOCAL GOVT BILL – giving powers all the way down to the village level
- CONFLICT OF INTEREST BILL- prevents Gov officers / bureaucracy to silently bid on tenders and reap benefits – PUBLIC ADD – (Pg 1 & Pg 2)
- ELECTRICITY – KPK Government has a serious commitment to solve the province electricity crisis – for this reason it has asked the Federal Govt to hand over PESCO (management and distribution) to allow for a permanent solution
- ENDING VIP CULTURE – enough of media expose have been done to curtail the KPK Ministers VIP protocols – even the CM KPK was reported using Govt helicopter for his personal use – and he paid the dues from his own pocket
PTI remains focused on bringing a positive change in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and these progress notes will continue to be updated highlighting the efforts being made throughout the province
Reproduced from Ali Zaidi’s Facebook Page
While I was in my teens, my father took the onus and ensured that I grow up to be a man of religious & social values. Beyond that, it was my own choice to lead my life the way I preferred. The most important value was to respect a private conversation between individuals, and not flaunt it around, just because you don’t agree with the their views. Unfortunately for Mr. Shafi, he either lost those values down the road, or has a personal agenda/vested interest to malign everything and anything Imran Khan has to say, or is to do.
Mr. Shafi has made public, what was supposed to be an SMS conversation between him & Imran Khan. Not to forget, a private conversation. If this was supposed to be public, Imran would have made a live call on TV to express his views. What Mr. Shafi has utterly failed to understand here is that, it is he who should be insulted as Imran clearly called him a “Westoxified”brown sahib. On being shamed by Imran, Shafi goes on rambling like a typical Desi Saas (Mother in law) to her fellow com padres.
Moving on to the content of Mr. Shafi’s letter, the absurdity of his claims begin, when he objects to the time taken (My God, a whole week) by the KPK government to visit Aitzaz Hasan’s family. He mentions that it took Khattak and Co an entire week!! Hello Mr. Shafi, wakie wakie, imagine Imran’s temerity to take an entire week for the aid of a martyr’s family. Did you ever question the previous democratically elected official of his stand against WOT, in FIVE bloody years!!?? Have you had the courage to question the current PM of his role towards this WOT!!?? You have not! The most important thing to note here is that never in the history of Pakistan, has any leader dared to comment so candidly about his/her party’s led government in public. Instead of appreciating the feat, Mr. Shafi possibly out of shear hatred and/or otherwise, decided to ignore it and criticize it based on the date(s).
With all the condolences messages being sent hailing Nelson Mandela as a symbol for Peace. What people forget is this same “liberated world” used to call Nelson Mandela – TERRORIST MANDELA. All because he fought for peace and worked to end Apartheid rule in South Africa.
The struggle to resolve any conflict through a peace is a long drawn battle. It does not end with just the signing of the peace accord – it needs to slowly change peoples sentiments and may take years, if not decades. The apartheid ended in ~1990, but ironically Mandela remained on the Terrorist watch list till 2008
SOWETAN: In 2008 just before his 90th birthday, the United States gave Nelson Mandela a special present, striking him from a decades-old terror watch list and ending what US officials called “a rather embarrassing matter.” In past years, US officials have beaten a path to his door in his family village hoping some of his almost saint-like aura would rub off on them. On Thursday, when Mandela died at age 95, President Barack Obama hailed him as belonging “to the ages”
Yet decades ago many in America did not share in the adulation of Mandela and his African National Congress, which had been billed a terrorist organization by both South Africa and the United States. His severest right-wing critics painted him as an unrepentant terrorist and a communist sympathizer.
I do not like to draw correlations – but I see a similar situation in Pakistan – most Pakistanis want peace, but at the same time there is a lobby that castigates against any attempt to further the peace process – their justifications, in part, are understandable – they kill us, so we must kill them – but that itself is a vengeance driven mindset which is bound to lead to more blood shed and the loss of even more innocent lives
At the same time I see a leader in Imran Khan who continues his commitment towards Peace in Pakistan – despite all the thrashing handed to him in the media and by his political opponents, day-in & day-out. Any other leader would have succumbed to the constant assault and back tracked, but Imran Khan remains committed to his vision for a prosperous Pakistan, and the dream is an exercise in futility, without Peace
Surprisingly as similar to Mandela being labelled by his right-wingers as Terrorist Mandela, Khan is similarly painted as Taliban Khan mostly by his opponents, predominantly settled on the left-wing. Such resistance, is in my opinion, merely because driven by his opponents who see these “peace talks” attempts to disrupt their own established control on Pakistan. The name calling will never stop true genuine leaders, in fact, it is in the face of such adversity that actually drives them harder to continue their struggle for whats best for their country – Peace
Salute to Nelson Mandela for showing the world that Peace is an entity that is worth fighting for, Salute to Nelson Mandela for picking up South Africa from the ashes to show that this nation can rise up from the oppressive Apartheid to transform into a dynamic progressive country that it is today.
Let us take lessons from a visionary leader like Nelson Mandela, and Let us do something similar for Pakistan .. Peace is definitely possible in Pakistan
The free reign enjoyed by our media especially the immature and novice electronic media which gets almost all its human resources from the press mainly Urdu newspapers. It is no wonder that we observe sensationalization and are forced to see moles as mountains.
Some may recall the insensitive and ridiculous headlines of “Awam – Jang Group” and “Qaumi Akhbar” carried when they came out. They were driven in doing the thrilling act, as they put it, because they operated in saturated markets and it was impossible to make a mark in the presence of giants like Jang and Nawa I Waqt.
Similarly electronic media enterprises operate in similar situations. Their markets are saturated, the reader engagement and loyalty enjoyed by their predecessor, print media, is non-existent as it takes only a click to move from one station to the other.
The task of keeping the viewer at a particular station is proving to be difficult for the clever producers, anchors, editors (not sure there are any) and marketing and sales teams employed to sell air time. The TRPs, GRPs are more colloquially “ratings” have come to dictate more than ethics, training and professionalism.
To make matters worse advertising agencies, marketing companies, brands and businesses have grown clever and instead of spending their resources on mass media they employ them on engagement activities. Thus the outburst of channels has to compete for their slice of the shrinking pie (ad spent). The outrageous rivalry is evident from “breaking news” flashes and “sub se pehle aap tak khabar pohanchai…” clichés. Continue Reading
This post was submitted by Rehan Ali.
In my childhood whenever we were asked what would you become when you grow up. The most common answers included joining the army or becoming a pilot (fighter). It may be because the 80s were spent under General Zia’s dictatorship. Later, it was the turn of being a Mujahid, fuelled by the Pakistani romance with Kashmir and hatred for India.
The formative years was spent listening to sermons glorifying Jihad and how killing infidels oppressing our fellow brethren in Bosnia, Chechnya, Palestine and more importantly Kashmir. The mullahs were tasked with glorifying and preparing the emotionally charged youth for fighting in the cause of Allah.
Those who have survived and they are very limited in number, recall how they were deceived and sent as proxy soldiers for the purest armed forces. The realization is aided greatly by the post 9/11 scenario in which the Military willingly brought the war on to us. God’s soldiers were now termed strayed fanatics and were driven into the mountains of Waziristan.
The war chimes rang aloud “sub se pehlay Pakistan” become the slogan of progress and enlightenment. We started celebrating the killings of our own countrymen. The price too was paid by us when we started laying to rest countless civilians killed in never before experienced “bomb blasts”.
This post was submitted by Rehan Ali.
The recent publication of a white paper of allegations against GEO bears the name of PTI Cyber Force team & PTI indirectly. For starters PTI categorically denies any involvement in this report and believe miscreants are using the party name to help deteriorate the relationships with the media house.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf has taken strong objection to GEO issuing a legal notice to Chairman Imran Khan in the program with Mubashir Lucman.
The issue should have been between GEO & ARY or directly with Mubashir Lucman but looping in Mr. Imran Khan in the legal notice who merely responded to the questions posed to him was certainly an attempt to gag the entire talk show which is a decision of the ARY team and Imran Khan has no control over it whatsoever.
The Notice had demanded of the Chairman that he stop the broadcast of his interview of 28th October on ARY channel – as “the language and the conclusive tone” the Chairman allegedly used in the interview “is highly defamatory and unacceptable”!
The Chairman Imran Khan stood by every word of what he said in his interview with Mubashar Lucman for ARY television channel. The Chairman stated categorically that any allegations regarding ANY media house relating to money coming from abroad and allegedly creating links with foreign intelligence agencies must be properly investigated as “it was a very serious matter.” The Chairman reiterated that regardless of which media house was alleged to be involved in any such activity an investigation was in order. Yes the Chairman PTI’s tone was resolute in demanding such an inquiry rather than coming to a conclusion on his own. It is bizarre to accuse a political leader or any citizen of defamation merely because they demand an inquiry into what are serious allegations involving the security of the country.
Guest Blog by By M. Fahid Saleem
“These are the most important elections in the history of country, this will determine the destiny of Pakistan” said different politician and pundits before elections. Unfortunately, the post election debate which should have been focused on its results and its policy implication on Pakistan’s future is surrounded by rigging allegations by every party (PML in Sindh, JUI-F in KPK, Nationalist in Baluchistan and Sindh, PTI in Punjab, PPP in Punjab and other provinces, JI in Karachi etc.)
So much have been written and shown on TV however ECP is convinced that these were free and fair elections. As a business student I did some analysis on election results of ten seats in Lahore (NA-118 to NA-127).
Total number of register voters in most of these ten national assembly seats have no difference with the total number of register voters in their respective provincial assembly seats except in three constituencies (NA-123, NA-124 & NA-126). Number of registered voters in these NA constituencies is greater than their respective provincial seats (68, 2590, 150 respectively). However, unfortunately there is not a single constituency where total number of votes polled for NA is equal to its respective provincial seats. Difference ranges from minus 7055 (Votes polled on respective pp seats are more than that of NA seat) to positive 2841 (Votes polled on NA seat is more than its respective provincial seats). Though the total number of votes polled on most of NA seats were more than their respective PP seats except in case of NA-125 and NA-127, where total votes polled at NA are less than their respective PP seats (4600 and 7055 respectively). Every voter polls two votes, one for NA seat and other one for provincial seat; it means total number of votes polled in NA should be equal to their respective provincial assembly seats. How is this possible a person voted for provincial candidates but not for NA candidates and vice versa? I think ECP is in the best position to answer this question.
This post was submitted by M. Fahid Saleem.
Honrable Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry,
Chief Justice Pakistan,
Supreme Court of Pakistan
I couldn’t resist but write you some fan mail after seeing that you were trending as number 1 on twitter worldwide. Now that is an achievement! I’m sure you must’ve been trending a few years ago as well when party workers and general public got beaten black and blue so you, as a symbol of justice, could be restored into the judiciary. Imran Khan doesn’t have quite as exciting memories from back then, as he was stuck in jail standing for what you supposedly stood for. Forget these petty details though, who cares!
It’s been an interesting few years since then right? Your gravity defying zero force ‘tilt’ to PML-N is quite frankly nauseating but on the bright side you have developed a unique quality of inspiring some pretty interesting emotions in people across different provinces, parties and professions. Wow. So feel free to share that with the people out there who think that you have delivered nothing of significance over the past few years, how wrong they are.
I heard about this thing that happened in Pakistan recently. What was it again, I can’t remember, um hang on it will come to me…oh yes I remember! Rigging! You know that thing that was riper than a Jamaican mango in these elections, yes that. I didn’t get to vote myself but luckily I came across same pakora paper the other day which had a balla stamped on it so I felt very privileged to have my bit of election action! So thanks for not acknowledging anything about this rigging business, maybe next time there would be enough stamped ballots for us to distribute as toilet paper amongst the needy – I do need to pop a bit of social work on my C.V.
This post was submitted by Sabreena Razaq Hussain.
Observe how PML Family prepares to serve itself justice by quickly moping up cases against themselves just as they come into power
The judges overseeing the Sharif family cases of Hudabiya Mills, Raiwind Mansion and Ittefaq Foundaries, are suddenly removed and proceedings delayed since no replacement judge is available to overseeing these issues
A mini story appears on the backpage of Express (29th May) almost as an after thought – http://bit.ly/111Y3jN
A young woman belonged to South Waziristan Agency Aeisha Gulalai vice president of Pakistan Tehreek Insaf become youngest Member of National Assembly on special women seat belonged to tribal area
“PTI Chairman Imran Khan has proved the slogans of changed and for the first time he selected a tribal women on special seat belonged to South Waziristan agency which is real changed in the history of country” Aeisha said